Steve Jumes is a well-respected federal and state criminal defense attorney who has been practicing law for more than two decades. Prior to joining the firm, Steve served as a former state and federal prosecutor who handled thousands of criminal cases. He has achieved successful results on behalf of dozens of state and federal clients, as well as obtained significant financial recoveries for property owners facing forfeiture.
Steve has earned the highest designation possible for a criminal trial attorney: He is Board Certified in Criminal Law by the Texas Board of Legal Specialization. Steve focuses primarily on federal criminal defense cases and defends individuals and companies accused of white collar crimes, including computer crimes, healthcare fraud, and tax evasion. He also has attained numerous favorable results in federal drug and money laundering cases.
Steve Jumes is recognized as one of the nation’s leading civil and criminal asset forfeiture defense attorneys. He has testified before the Texas House and Senate on the issue and is the attorney that other lawyers turn to when they have questions about defending asset forfeitures.
A seasoned trial attorney, Steve Jumes has taken more than 100 cases to jury trial in state and federal courts. He is often consulted by various news organizations and has been interviewed by the Dallas Morning News, Fort Worth Star Telegram, National Public Radio, WFAA Channel 8 and CBS 11, among others. He also enjoys teaching and has spoken at a number of events, including Rusty Duncan Advanced Criminal Law Course, the Texas State Bar Advanced Criminal Law Course, and the Tarrant County Criminal Defense Lawyers Association.
Areas of Practice
- Federal Criminal Defense
- Criminal and Civil Asset Forfeitures
- White Collar Defense
- State Criminal Defense
- Corporate Compliance
- Criminal Tax Cases
- Offshore/International Tax Disputes
- U.S. District Court Northern District of Texas
- U.S. District Court Southern District of Texas
- U.S. District Court Eastern District of Texas
- U.S. Court of Appeals 5th Circuit
- The University of Texas School of Law, Austin, Texas (J.D.)
- University of Texas (summa cum laude)
Honors, Awards and Memberships
- FBI Director’s Award for Excellence handling complex financial cases
- Criminal Law Specialist, Texas Board of Legal Specialization
- Top Attorney, 360 West Magazine, 2017
- Top Attorney, Fort Worth Magazine, 2016, 2017
- Tarrant County Criminal Defense Lawyer’s Association
- State Bar of Texas, Criminal Justice Section, Member
- Tarrant County Bar Association, Member
- Texas Criminal Defense Lawyers Association, Member
- Texas District and County Attorneys Association, Former Member
- Fifth Circuit Court of Appeals Bar Association
- Rated 10.0 by AVVO
- U.S. Department of Justice United States Attorney’s Office, Trial Attorney
- Dallas County District Attorney’s Office, Prosecutor
- Tarrant County District Attorney’s Office, Prosecutor