Tanya Dohoney is Of Counsel for Varghese Summersett PLLC, bringing a unique skill set and decades of wisdom and experience to the firm. Tanya is a double board certified attorney, a designation accomplished by very few other criminal law attorneys in Texas. She is certified by the Texas Board of Legal Specialization in Criminal Law and Criminal Appeals, which means she is a specialist in both areas.
Out of more than 100,000 lawyers licensed to practice in Texas in 2017, only 834 are Board Certified in Criminal Law and only 127 are Board Certified in Criminal Appeals. Very few are double certified, putting Tanya in an elite class of lawyers. She is also AV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell, the highest rating an attorney can receive from their peers.
Prior to becoming an Of Counsel attorney for Varghese Summersett, Tanya spent 26 years of her legal career as a senior appellate attorney for the Tarrant County Criminal District Attorney’s Office. She has handled countless legal issues arising from litigation, especially intoxication and vehicular-related cases. Simply put, she is at the top of the class for appellate representation. Tanya is also heavily involved in philanthropy, working with a number of organizations in the community.
Areas of Practice
- Criminal Law, 1992
- Criminal Appellate Law, 2011
- Southern Methodist University (J.D.)
- University of Texas at Austin, (B.A. History)
Memberships and Philanthropy
- Trinity Habitat for Humanity, Board Member, BuildStrong Table Ambassador
- Life in the Trinity Ministry, Board Member
- Presbyterian Night Shelter, Past Board Member, Volunteer
- Junior League of Fort Worth, Sustaining Member
- Mistletoe Heights Neighborhood Association, Historic Preservation Committee Member
- First Presbyterian Church Fort Worth, Ordained Elder, Past Trustee
- Circle T Girl Scout Council, Former Troop Leader
- Paschal High School, Former Member of the Site-Based Management Team
- Tarrant County Safe Kids, Former Board Member, Former NHTSA-Trained Child Passenger Safety Technician
- Berkeley Place Association, Former President, Park Board Liaison
- Tarrant County Criminal District Attorney’s Office, Senior Appellate Attorney, 1991-2017
- McLennan County Criminal District Attorney’s Office, Chief Appellate Attorney and Felony Prosecutor, 1987-1991
- McClennan County Junior College, Regional Police Academy Instructor, 1988-1990
- Texas Court of Criminal Appeals, Law Clerk for Staff Attorneys’ Office, 1986-1987