Benson Varghese is the founder and Managing Partner of Varghese Summersett PLLC. Benson represents individuals charged with the most serious state and federal criminal offenses. He has proven himself in and outside of the courtroom as a criminal defense attorney who has obtained favorable results handling complex criminal matters.
Benson Varghese has tried over 100 cases to juries and has been recognized as a Top 100 Trial Attorney by the National Trial Lawyers Association and has been named a “Top Attorney” by Fort Worth, Texas magazine every year since 2012. He is also a member of the College of the State Bar of Texas, a distinction held by less than 10 percent of all licensed attorneys in Texas.
Benson Varghese has extensive experience litigating issues relating intoxication (alcohol, drugs, and prescription drugs), specimen analysis (breath and blood), and retrograde extrapolation in DWI, intoxication assault, and intoxication manslaughter cases.
Benson Varghese is also a member of the Federal Bar Association. He regularly handles federal criminal cases and focuses on federal conspiracy charges and cases where the government is relying on sophisticated means of detection.
He has also successfully represented individuals charged with all levels of sexual allegations ranging from indecency charges to sexual assault of a child, and continuous sexual assault charges.
Benson Varghese also represents corporations (including corporate management and directors) being investigated for fraud, securities violations, antitrust violations, and breaches of the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act. Benson Varghese works with the Corporate Compliance Team at Varghese Summersett PLLC to develop and implement strategies and corporate compliance programs that are preventive in nature.
Benson also serves as an officer on the Board of the Tarrant County Criminal Defense Lawyers Association and is an avid supporter of a number of philanthropic and non-profit organizations. In 2019, he was named The Outstanding Young Lawyer of Tarrant County for his professional proficiency and service to the profession and service to the community.
Areas of Practice
- Federal Criminal Defense
- White Collar Crime Defense
- State Criminal Defense
- Sex Crimes Defense
- DWI Defense
- Southern Methodist University (BBA)
- Texas Tech University School of Law (J.D.)
Memberships, Honors, and Awards
- Fellow, Texas Bar Foundation
- College of the State Bar of Texas, Member
- Eldon B. Mahon Inns of Court, Associate Member, 2011-2013
- American Inns of Court, Member
- Tarrant County Young Lawyers Association, Past Board Member
- Tarrant County Bar Association, Member
- Federalist Society, Member
- Liberty Leadership Council – Executive Committee Member (Texas Public Policy Foundation)
- American Bar Association, Member
- Federal Bar Association, Member
- National Rifle Association, Lifetime Member
- Christian Trial Lawyers Association, Lifetime Member
- National College for DUI Defense, Member
- Texas Criminal Defense Lawyers Association, Member
- Tarrant County Criminal Defense Lawyers Association, Board Member, 2017
- Dallas County Criminal Defense Lawyers Association
- Texas District and County Attorneys Association, Former Member
- Fifth Circuit Court of Appeals Bar Association
- Named the 2019 Outstanding Young Lawyer by the Tarrant County Young Lawyer’s Association.
- Selected as a Texas Rising Star by Super Lawyers Magazine, 2016, 2017, 2018.
- Named a Minority Leader in Business by the Fort Worth Business Press, 2017
- Named “Premier 100 Trial Attorney” by the American Academy of Trial Attorneys
- Named “Top Attorney” by 360 West Magazine, 2017, 2019
- Named “Top Attorney” by Fort Worth Magazine, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019
- Martindale Hubbel “Client Champion” Award, 2017
- Rated 10.0 by AVVO
- Client’s Choice Award: Criminal Defense, Federal Criminal Defense, DUI Defense
- Steer Fort Worth, Member
- Rotary International, Downtown Fort Worth, Member
- United States Attorney’s Office, Northern District of Texas, White Collar Division, Intern, 2008-2009.
- Judge Sharen Wilson (current District Attorney), Tarrant County Criminal District Court Number One, Staff Attorney, 2009.
- Assistant District Attorney, Tarrant County District Attorney’s Office, 2010-2014.
Philanthropic Efforts and Community Involvement
- Habitat for Humanity
- Rotary Club of Fort Worth
- Tarrant county Volunteer Services
- Fort Worth Museum of Science and History
- Course Director, 2018, White Collar Seminar
Contact Benson Varghese
Latest posts by Benson Varghese (see all)
- Will El Paso Shooter Patrick Crusius Face the Death Penalty? - August 4, 2019
- Dual Sovereignty Reigns Over Double Jeopardy | Gamble vs. United States (2019) - June 17, 2019
- 2019 Criminal Law Update | 40 New Criminal Laws - May 27, 2019